Preventing Holiday Hazards in the Home This Christmas
As we head into the holiday season, new decorations and a well lit Christmas tree are likely to adorn your home.
It’s important to consider the safety of your property and your loved ones when bringing these seasonal items into your household.
Here are some areas you can concentrate on:
Make Sure Your Tree is Fresh
Dry, dead trees are a fire hazard. Avoid choosing a tree that has already started to brown before it even arrives in your living room. If you are buying a pre-cut tree, hold it upright and bounce it off the ground a few times; if a spray of needles comes off the tree, pick another tree (and maybe another place to purchase the tree).
Cut two inches from the bottom of the trunk to allow the tree to absorb moisture and water daily. Place your tree in a safe location in your home. Do not position near a fireplace, radiator or any other heated source.
Check the lights before you put them on the tree to make sure there is no broken sockets or frayed wires. Don’t overload extension cords or plug sockets. Do not have more than three sets of lights per socket.
Be careful with decorations that look like sweets. Small children might be tempted to bite or play around with the ornaments. This will increase the risk of injuries such as cuts or choking hazards. Pets also might take a fancy to decorations that look like toys so be mindful of this.
Candles are also popular at Christmas, but flames can be dangerous. Make sure candles are in a secure non-flammable place that is not easily knocked over. Always blow out your candles when going to bed or leaving the house.
The fireplace makes for a wonderful backdrop for the holiday season, but be sure it’s safe. Keep the area in front of the fireplace clear so that any sparks will extinguish harmlessly on the hearth.
Christmas is a great time for visiting friends. Be sure there’s ample room for guests to walk around without upsetting the tree or other decorations if the gathering is in your house.
If you serve food and it has been sitting out at room temperature for two hours or more, bacteria may develop that would cause food poisoning… therefore, it’s best to throw the food out no matter how good your mince pies are.
Have You Renewed Your Home Insurance?
Make sure your Home Insurance is up to date this festive season.
Request a Call Back today for advice and we can provide you with the most competitive Home Insurance quote from a market of over 15 different insurers.